1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2 portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, halved and thickly sliced
1/2 ground beef
Salt and pepper
4 cups chicken broth
One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 cup tiny pasta, such as ditalini
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and browned, about 8 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
3. Transfer the vegetables to a medium bowl.
4. Add the beef to the pot and cook over medium-high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 3 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
5. Add the vegetable mixture, chicken broth and tomatoes.
6. Stir in the pasta and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
7. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the pasta is tender, 10 to 12 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
The recipe said to serve w/ sour cream - but this didn't sound too good to us.... feel free to add it if you think it sounds right!