1 1/2 cups cornflake crumbs
1/2 cup plain dried breadcrumbs (I used panko because that's what I had)
1 large egg
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 large sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut and broken into rings (discard small center rings)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2. In medium bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, flour, and cayenne and season with salt and pepper.
3. In another bowl combine bread crumbs & cornflake crumbs
4. Dip onion rings in egg mixture (letting excess drip off) and dredge in cornflake mixture; place on a large plate.
5. Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and heat 2 minutes. Remove sheet from oven and tilt to coat evenly with oil. Arrange onion rings on sheet.
6. Bake, turning once, until onion rings are golden brown, about 16 minutes. Season with salt.