2 pounds ground beef
2 carrots, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1/2 cup dark beer
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Salt and pepper
2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed but cold
1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1.Preheat the oven to 375°. 2
2. In a very large skillet, combine the beef, carrots, onion, celery, garlic and potato and cook, breaking up the meat, over medium-high heat until the beef is cooked through and some liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes.
3. Lower the heat to medium, add the beer and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the cheese, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Let cool.
5. On a floured surface, roll 1 puff pastry sheet into a 12-inch round. (I couldn't roll mine out, I got it a bit flatter then out of the package, then tried to follow the directions that follow - it worked fine. Just do your best)
6. Place in a 10-inch skillet or deep pie dish. Roll the remaining puff pastry sheet into an 11-inch round.
7. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat mixture to the skillet with the bottom pastry in it.
8. Lightly brush the edge of the crust with some of the egg wash, then place the second sheet on top. Press the edges to seal, then trim to a 1/2-inch edge.
9. Place the pie on a baking sheet. Brush the top with more of the egg wash and cut an "X" into the pastry. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
10. Bake for 45 minutes, tenting with foil if the crust darkens too quickly. Transfer to a rack to cool for 15 minutes.
IT was delicious, worth the work, everyone liked this... and it made alot!